Have you ever wondered What makes a house a home? I mean, how does your house feel to you? Whether it is a new home or one you have been living in for years, at the end of the day, the “feeling of home” should make you feel at peace and content.
I have talked about how to update living spaces or make home improvements on a budget, whether adding little things to make the space feel cozy, changing the paint color, or making structural changes to give it a whole new look. But what makes a house a home is how you choose to make it!
When we bought our home, I would sit & wonder about how I could create a beautiful home. Adding homey touches and making my home feel welcoming.
We all have a dream house in mind; who doesn’t? Right? But you can make small changes in your home to make it feel alive & fresh!
Here are 11 things that make a house a home!
- Create a gallery wall of family photos & memorabilia.
- A combination of favourite pieces of furniture.
- Your personal treasures are placed throughout the house.
- A coffee table filled with your favorite books or magazines.
- A comfortable chair in the living space.
- Hosting holiday celebrations for your family members.
- You raised your children n your home.
- Adding personal touches throughout the house.
- There is an emotional connection to your home; maybe you grew up in it, or the house has been passed down for generations.
- Memories of your children running & playing.
- Fridge magnets & children’s artwork are displayed.
I have always found that my home was my happy place, no matter what! There was always a sense of peace when I see many of my favorite things around the house.
In the early mornings, you will find me sitting in the living room with coffee in hand, reading my devotions, or journaling while my cat Natty is lying on my lap; this is when I reflect on and appreciate my own home.
“This fascinating study confirms that a person’s most personal belongings are kept in a home, where a person feels safe and accepted. A home tells a story and expresses a person or family’s interests. Creating a home requires an emotional connection and a sense of belonging, not physical things. A house can be a home, but a home can’t be a house!” ~says a spokesperson at The Open Door
Sometimes all it takes to What makes a house a home is making some changes to give it a dramatic effect and make the room look and feel like home. The best way to make the place feel alive is to create natural light in the space can make a huge difference. By doing this, add new window treatments, such as sheer curtains, to allow the light to filter through. Another great way to make your home feel alive is by adding simple things like fresh flowers or changing the furniture to give distinct spaces.
Want to make your home look as if it was designed by an interior designer?
The good news is that you can make changes in your home to make it feel like a new house. No matter the square footage of your house, you can create an entire room with just a few familiar little touches.
- The first thing is the simplest, create a well-stocked bookshelf. Having a full bookshelf with your favorite books is an excellent way to feel right a home with some of your favorite books to read.
- Another option is to add a new light fixture in the dining room or create a beautiful arrangement on the dining table to make a statement.
- Change the color palette on the front door t make it feel welcoming.
- Have any messy piles lying around? Sort and organize through the piles and put them away where it belongs.
- When it comes to painting, choose lighter colors to liven up the space. It can make a small room feel so much more significant.
- Finally, use high-quality products, especially in the main living areas. You don’t want the furniture or appliances to look cheap or be poorly made.
In all honesty, there is no better life than when family & friends visit. You know it’s home when the family gathers to catch up on what’s going on in their lives and taking photos to document the moment.
Furthermore, there is nothing better than family & friends getting together in your home. Feeling the family’s love while spending time making memories to last a lifetime.
Preparing meals & having the aroma of cooking delicious meals throughout the house. That’s when you know it’s truly what makes a house a home.
What is home in psychology?
“Home” is where you feel in control and properly oriented in space and time; it is a predictable and secure place.
What is the true meaning of home?
Home is your safe haven, and it’s a place where we live with our families and pets and enjoy ourselves with friends. But it’s also a place to create memories and where we can truly just be ourselves.
What is the heart of the home?
By far, definitely the kitchen. It is always the area in the home where family & friends tend to gather. No matter the size of the kitchen, and if food is being created, it enriches the body & souls of the families & friends!
Just remember that a house is just a structural building.
A home reflects the lives of the people and pets living there to feel protected and secure. No matter whatever style they choose, or whatever style it has evolved into, to make it a ‘home. But, more importantly, home is where you find peace and comfort. A place to restore your spirit and energy.
My family & I live in a house that was built in 1885. Even though it is not our forever home, it does feel like home. With all the updates & creating beautiful spaces, I can honestly say, without a doubt, I love our home. We have built many memories here over the last few years, but I will say no matter what, What makes a house a home is how you decide to make it a home, and we sure do feel like this home, even if it’s just for a little while.
What makes a house a home is simply where your story began!
If you want to follow along on our home restoration/renovation plans and all of our exciting antique & thrift finds, be sure to check out Linen and Wildflowers on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! And don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter to receive updates.